Forest Schools in Oxfordshire
18 May 2023
I am a strong advocate of forest schools. Forest schools help children develop love and appreciation for nature by spending time in the outdoors and learning about the natural world. This will not only improve their physical health by getting regular exercise and fresh air but also enhance their mental well being. Children develop a sense of self-worth and confidence by having opportunities for risk taking, problem-solving, decision-making, and critical thinking skills as well as life skills.
Here are some forest schools in Oxfordshire:
- The Hedgehog Club offer Fun and Learning in the Outdoors for children from 9 months to 4 years old at Cogges Farm during term time and School holiday sessions for 5-12 year olds @Hailey Community Wood, nr Witney.
- TREEmendously WILD Providing forest school and outdoor education sessions for children 1-14 years old. @Shipton-under-Wychwood
- Muddy Feet® delivers a range of creative and fun woodland activities throughout the year. All events are designed with a screen-free nature connection focus, to enable you to experience all the woodland has to offer. @Evenley Wood Garden and Heath Farm ( between Banbury and Chipping Norton).
- Little Wild Things @ Charlbury run family adventures (aimed at children up to 6 years old), holiday adventures for children up to 8 years old and workshops are for children over 5. They also offer home education adventures aimed at children aged 5 -12.
- Woodland Wonderers offering ‘Walk and talk’ group at the Wittenham Clumps – for babies up to age 1, woodland toddler group – for babies and toddlers up to the age of 5 and ‘Saturday Adventure Club’ at Hill End Outdoor Education Centre – for 8-11 year olds, starting in March 24
- Muddy Boots Forest School preschool Forest School sessions at Hill End Outdoor Education Centre
- Hoglet and Twig Tots provide outdoor stay and play sessions for little ones from walking to up to 5 years of age at Wantage.
- Tiny Wildlings Nature Play offer Outdoor child-led nature play sessions for 0-5 year olds at Millennium Green, Kingston Bagpuize.
- Sutton Courtenay Environmental Education Centre, located on a beautiful nature reserve just outside Didcot, offer different type of activities e.g. Young and Teen Rangers (Monthly Saturday clubs for young people aged 8-17 years), Nature Tots (Monthly outdoor nature sessions for toddlers and their carers) and other events
- At Bramblers Forest school , children can learn to play freely and find wellbeing in outdoor environments, while developing their environmental awareness and practical skills and learning about the plants and animals around them. Classes currently run in Bertie West Field, Benson.
- Forest School Fun and Under the Trees at Cassington offer outdoor adventures where children use tools, build shelters, make fires and cook on them, explore and develop understanding of the world around them.
- Earth Trust’s inspirational green spaces offer three core education programmes, Earth School, Earth Explorers and Earth Skills. There is a session for everyone; whether you’re looking for outdoor learning experiences that support child development, engaging activities that provide context and excitement to topics covered in curriculum or opportunities to gain new knowledge and skills.
- Wildings offer child days for Electively Home Educated children (from ages 5 to 12) at Wildlings HQ, near Chinnor, Holiday camps during school holidays for all children (from ages 5 to 12), whether home educated or otherwise and family sessions for people of all ages that want to be outdoors.
- Path Hill Adventures is a forest school program for children aged 3-12 years old in Goring Heath, Oxfordshire.
If you think something needs updating on this post, please contact us HERE